Qantas has launched the AVRO Accelerator, as part of its efforts to identify start-ups and digital disruptors that can help it improve the passenger experience and business efficiency.
The initiative will give start-ups the chance to work with Qantas Group mentors and pitch ideas to “streamline the travel experience, design smarter ways of working, unlock the potential of new technologies and help solve business problems”.
Up to 10 teams will ultimately be chosen for the 12-week programme, which is named after Qantas’ first ever aircraft, the Avro 504K. As well as access to Qantas and industry mentors, participants will be able to tap into some of the Qantas Group’s operational data, technology platforms and anonymised customer insights to bring their ideas to life. The programme has been designed in partnership with Slingshot, an Australian corporate accelerator programme.
Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce said: “We’re proud of our track record as innovators and early adopters and we think there’s much more to come, so we’re asking Australian and international start-ups to join us as we unearth the next big ideas.
“Customer needs keep evolving and the limits of technology are constantly expanding, so there is a clear business imperative for us to find new ways to improve how we operate. We’re looking forward to opening up our doors to ideas that are different, challenging and truly innovative. Ideas that could benefit from the expertise and scale at a company like Qantas to refine them and make them a reality.”
The AVRO Accelerator will focus on five themes:
- Creating seamless journeys: Revolutionise the travel experience from inspiration to destination.
- Care beyond the air: Enrich customers’ lives and our communities physically, socially and financially.
- Building connected platforms: Unlock simplicity in an increasingly connected world.
- Transforming for tomorrow: Streamline processes to create efficiencies without impacting safety.
- Innovating without limits: Uncover the next break-through business that we just need to know about.